The suburb was established in 1847 as a fencible settlement, where soldiers were given land with the implied understanding that in wartime, they would be raised as units to defend it (however, the eventual fighting a decade later used professional soldier instead). Most early features from this time have disappeared however, such as a stone bridge built by the fencibles that had to make way to a widening of Great South Road.
Otahuhu was home to the country's first supermarket, and Otahuhu College, to which several famous personalities went, including heavyweight boxing champion David Tua, former prime minister David Lange, and ex-Manukau City Mayor, Sir Barry Curtis.
- PLACES THAT MIGHT BE OF INTEREST.
- THE COMMUNITY CAFE
- 225 Great South Road, Otahuhu, Auckland In Restaurant & Cafe
- SECRET THAI GARDEN RESTAURANT
- 25 Station Rd Otahuhu 1062
- PHOENIX SPORTS CLUB
- 26 Avenue Rd, Otahuhu, Auckland In Club & Society and Sport Facility
- OTAHUHU LIBRARY
- 12 High Street, Otahuhu, Auckland In Library
- MT RICHMOND DOMAIN
- Great South Rd, Otahuhu, Auckland In Public space
- OTAHUHU WORKINGMENS & COSMOPOLITAN CLUB
- 101 Atkinson Avenue, Otahuhu, Auckland In Club & Society
- OTAHUHU TOWN HALL COMMUNITY CENTRE
- 10 High Street, Otahuhu, Auckland In Hall